Saturday, August 25, 2007

Scuba 101

This morning, bright and early, Steve and I headed to Bulimba's Pro Dive Shop where I did a trial dive class...it was about 2 1/2 hours long and involved watching a short DVD, teaching of the basic skills and pool time. It was free and is basically there to give you an idea of if diving is something you want to, before you pay all the money to take the course and buy the equipment. Like most things I seem to do in my life, I totally found myself over-thinking everything and didn't really let myself relax. I think that will come with time though. There's a lot to remember at first and it is a little scary to be under water, breathing through your mouth (well with a regulator, but still!). I also think I expected myself to do everything perfectly on the first try, which didn't happen, but again, I think if I can stop being such a perfectionist for 2 minutes and realize that the more I do it, the easier it'll be, then I might actually enjoy it. It is a pretty cool experience to be floating and breathing under water, and I can only imagine how great it would be, doing just that at the Great Barrier Reef. So, I think I will register for the offical course and get my certification. I think I will regret it if I don't, especially when Steve and Jeff (who just got his) go out on dive trips and come back and tell me about all the great things that they saw! Here's a few pics that Steve snapped, while I was concentrating on not holding my breath! Which, by the way is harder than you think when you're under water and used to doing just that!







7 comments:

Selena said...

That is so awesome Cari, I have always wanted to get my scuba license. I use to lifeguard a scuba class in Ottawa. I hope you really like it. So jealous.

Shannon said...

Holy Smokes! That looks like fun! I can't imagine real diving!!!

YAY For yoU!!!!

Ciao!

Shannon E. Ernst!

Kristi Drennan said...

Always up to a new and exciting adventure! I've gotten to the point where I expect some kind of crazy fun thing that's new on your blog! So fun!

MacPurdys said...

Good for you Cari! You cannot live "a stone's throw" from some of the best diving in the world and not dive it. I need a refresher course myself. It has been a long time since I have dived.

cheers
Darryl

Kat said...

Amazing! Cari, if you got up the nerve to jump out of a plane then this'll be a piece of cake!!!!
Congrats, it looks like so much fun, and you'll be able to dive in one of nicest places in the world!
xox

George said...

Ok Selena...make room on the jealousy bench for me.

Cari/Steve - You`re killing me here. I`ve always wanted to try diving as well, especially now that I have contact lenses that actually fit my astigmatism.

Way friggen cool sis! That rocks!
Geo

KrisZadziuk said...

Thats great Cari, the only problem with learning to dive there is that it'll spoil you for the rest of the worlds diving. You'll love the freedom its one of the most amazing experiences in the world... FACT