Sunday, August 19, 2007

Our first spider encounter...

Wednesday night, I was getting ready to go over to Kate's house to hang out, when I heard Steve yell that there was a big spider in our cupboard, in the living room. So, me thinking with my Canadian brain, instantly imagined a big daddy long legs spider. I went to see what all the fuss was about and to my horror, saw a HUGE black, hairy legged spider, just hanging out. This pic doesn't show it's size, but it was just a bit smaller than a tarantula that you would see in a pet store! This is actually small for this type of spider, which we have been told can grow as big as a dinner plate! I immediately put Steve in charge of dealing with it and removing it from our house! So, with broom in hand, Steve attempted to crush it. The only thing...it REALLY jumped and HISSED! A guy at Steve's work told him that they can actually jump so well, that they can catch flying cockroaches in mid-air! According to the Aussies, they aren't poisonous but still hurt quite badly if they bite. Anyway, once Steve missed the spider, he disappeared! For those of you who don't know about my crazy spider dreams, let me fill you in....I have always had nightmares about spiders...nightmares that usually involve sleep screaming and walking. I told Steve that he had to find it or I would never sleep well again! At that point, I went to Kate and Morgan's place, leaving Steve alone with the beast....
...Upon my arrival home, I found our lovely fireplace, covered in a garbage bag and taped shut, with a book holding it down. Steve said the spider ran in there and so, he wasn't taking any chances! I wasn't complaining. It looks terrible, but I'm okay with idea. Definitely helps me to sleep at night! Hopefully, we don't have many more of those visitors!


5 comments:

Shannon said...

HAHAHA @ the taped Fire place...

Are you going to keep it like that for like... ever??

HAHA!

That's awesome!

Kristi Drennan said...

The fireplace is great! That must have cracked you up. Glad you sealed that sucker off. Definitely don't want him just chillin in your house ready to just do whatever he wants to.

MacPurdys said...

I'm sure Steve didn't scream like a girl at all!! hehee....right!

Steve - you look awesome!!

George said...

Just think how many nasty little bugs your pet spider is eating?Remember...spiders are your friends,except for the Brown Recluse and Black Widow of course.....(wink).

Just be glad you don`t have a big ole Saltie croc in the back yard...lol.
Geo

Kat said...

I'd be freaked too! It just so happens that we were looking at spider bite videos on youtube the other day. I HIGHLY advise you not to look.
Good job with the taping.