Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Crazy as the birds"...

...that is an expression, right? I didn't just make it up because I have it in my head that birds are crazy?? Well, if that is in fact an expression, then I'm sure it came to be, after meeting this funny looking bird in it's native habitat. Steve and I have started walking around the park and doing some exercises in the park before work in the morning. The path we take goes past this bird and his mate. The other morning, I had my camera with me, so I decided to get a picture. No joke, the bird started hissing at me and making this really deep growl noise! Who knew birds hissed and growled?! Well, not me. I was literally like..."Is that the bird making that noise?!" Needless to say, I backed off pretty quickly. So, the next couple of times we saw them, we stayed clear, but felt their eyes burning into us, as we passed. As Steve pointed out, they are obviously protecting a nest in that area, since they are always in the same spot and so on guard. So, a couple of days ago, we're walking by and the bird runs in the opposite direction, into the woods. So, Steve and Jesse started to cut through the grass, while I ventured off a bit to the side. I then hear Steve yell..."Whoa! Come Jesse!" and I look back to see Steve and Jesse running, with this bird chasing them! He darted out of the woods and went right at them! It was nuts! They can move fast! Then this morning, we were on our usual walk and we were coming up on the "nesting zone" and we actually had a woman stop and warn us to be careful of them! So, it's not just us...these birds are getting quite the reputation in the park! I'm actually a little scared to pass, but really there is no other choice. It was a pretty stupid choice of location for a nest, if you ask me! They could have chosen a more secluded area! You should see the way they watch you when you walk past. It's creepy. They are just waiting. I swear this morning one of them squeaked, "Bring it!", while it looked right at me!

3 comments:

Kat said...

I'm sure this makes you love birds even more! That's scary, those things look pretty big. I wish you had a video of it chasing Steve and Jess.:)
We have have tons of geese in the pond in front of our place...they're cute, and all the traffic stops for them when cross the street...

Selena said...

Man that is one weird looking bird. Really freaky looking.

Kristi Drennan said...

Maybe you guys should start some boxing training or something. Or just carry a stick in case you need to whack one outta the way! That's what Matt had to do with the swans at the Public Gardens when he worked there. I definitely think birds are crazy!