Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Vacation comes to an end...life begins...

Well it kind of feels like the vacation has come to an end and now we are really starting to "live" in Brisbane. Steve starts work today and I'm busy busy looking for a place to live. There are lots of places available, but not many allow dogs. The few places that we know of that do take dogs have size restrictions of only 5 kg, maximum 10 kg. Jesse is about 22 kg (and that's with hoping he loses some weight at the kennel!). Looks like we might have to rent a house, as that has a better chance of allowing pets than apartments. It just sucks because we want to be within walking distance to Steve's work and most homes are a little further out. Anyway, I'm sure we'll find something, just need to have patience.
We went over to Steve's friend Morgan's house last night and had a lovely dinner with him and his wife. Steve worked with Morgan in Montreal and now Morgan is also working at Pandemic. We had lots of Australian snacks (both Morgan and Kate are from Australia), including Tim-Tams...a kind of cookie (Jolyne, I thought of you!), Shapes...a kind of cracker, a kind of cheese chip...kind of like Cheesies but made with real cheese and an Australian beer and wine, which both were really good! I can't remember the names (I have to start paying more attention!) but I'll find out and let you know.
Thanks for all the comments from everyone on the blog. We really miss you all already and it's nice to hear from you. I will email our new phone number later today. Here's a couple of pics taken yesterday, when were walking around the city looking for apartments...

5 comments:

Selena said...

Hey Cari, I totally understand the frustration with apartments and pets. We only have an indoor cat and most of the apartments here don't allow any pets. One of Tom's co-worker needs to move out of his apartment and he has a dog a little bigger than Jessie and he can't find anything either. I only found one house today that allow a cat. I am hoping something comes up for you and us.

Kristie said...

ya finding a home with pets is hard. I have relatives in Brisbane with lots of pets, so I know it's possible. I don't think they live right in the city though... will you have to get a car?

Kristi Drennan said...

Hey! I can't believe you are there now! It's crazy!!! You're pictures look awesome! I'm so jealous!!!!!!! I can't wait to talk to you! Can I just say.....you're in Brisbane. CRAZY!!

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic out there.

Paul J

Anonymous said...

The greenery looks amazing! So tropical...Ioday was the coldest day yet (-30) so I am very jeleous of you right now!
I really don't understand the dog restrictions! What do they have against pets? I never thought it would be such a problem...I don't mind adopting Jess (or Jesse Jay as they all call him at the kennel!) if you cannot find a place to live with him...don't worry Cari I won't steal your dog!