Tuesday, January 30, 2007

More brisbane info

The Brisbane river. I find the city to be very clean, which is nice. Everything seems very well kept and maintained. We were told that Brisbane is quite safe and that there really isn't a lot of crime, just the occasional drunk. It isn't just a myth...Aussies really do like to drink!!!
The CityCat, a form of transportation on the river.
Steve and Vic.
The CityFerry. We went on this on Australia Day. Another form of transportation. Steve likes that all buses and taxis here use natural gas.
Me with a fancy bottle of water. We had dinner at a place called QA (where this pic was taken). It was my favorite place so far. Good food and cool atmosphere. It is very close to Steve's work. This is also the same area where we would like to try to get an apartment. Vic was telling me that after 8 o'clock in bars, guys have to wear pants and shoes, not flip flops, or thongs, as they are called here. I found this surprising considering the laid back nature of the place and the hot temps! Girls can wear sandles though and short skirts. Strange, eh? Oh and did I mention that I say "eh" a lot more than I realized?!?
This is what they bring you if you ask for ketchup in a restaurant. I did see Heinz ketchup in the grocery store though. The majority of restaurants here require you to go up to the counter and order your food and pay right away. Then you sit down and they give you a number for your table. They bring your food to the table and sometimes take your plate, but it's not the same as being totally waited on. I'm sure they do have fancier restaurants where you do place your order at the table, but we haven't been to any yet.

6 comments:

Selena said...

Hey cari,

There are a lot of restaurants like that here where you order and pay first. I found it weird at first but not it just a normal thing after two yrs of being in CA. I am really happy that you seem to be enjoying yourself there. The bars seem to be the same as in England too. You have to dress up after a certain hour or you not allowed in. Oh a funny thing too. You are six hours behind me except that you are a day a head of me hahaha. So right now it's 4pm Monday in CA and you are 10am Tuesday, hahaha so weird.

Kat said...

When I moved to VA I noticed (and was told!)that I said eh a lot too.
Something weird too, I bought a water bottle similar to the one you have at Nordstrom 'cos I thought it looked cool! It remimds me of something you'd use to feed a baby animal! lol Anyway, just a weird coincedence. Yes, I've been drinking...

Anonymous said...

Arrggg! While I'm freezing my little toochie out here, you are livin' the life in nice hot temps! It's nice to see some pics of you...even though you are very far away! It still feels as if you will be coming back soon!
Good luck finding a place!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

I still have to get into this whole "blogging" thing...writing comments, updating my own, all that good stuff.

Love all the pictures. Glad that you guys are enjoying yourselves even though we still miss you lots. Shamus still calls Steve on his phone everyday!!

Hope you find an apartment soon. So does Vic! heheheeeee....

Keep us posted!!
Stac

George said...

Hey guys...nice pics and good stuff. Cari - you`re like an inbedded reporter for CBC...lol.

If you have a chance I need to page you to the gluten phone.....see my blog.

BTW - it`s been between -10 to -30 hereabouts the last couple weeks.BRRRRRR. Oh yeah.....I`m fish belly white as well so send some of that heat and sun North will ya?(wink)

Geo

Kristie said...

those kinds of order/pay at the counter restaurants are really popular in Texas too. maybe it's the heat???