Monday, January 29, 2007

More Brisbane

The plants, trees and flowers that grow here are very cool. The plants feel like plastic and look almost fake. Everything is surprisingly green considering that they are having such a water shortage here. I was told that it rains just enough to keep the city looking nice but not enough to provide water for the city to use. The guy that we met with today at the bank (we opened our bank account) said that by next year, they may have no water left. This is scary to me! Currently, there is a level 4 water ban, which includes rules like, not being allowed to water your plants or yard outside. The guy at the bank said that people use their used bath water for watering the yard. They are talking about using recycled water for drinking.
The creatures are super cool here! These little guys are everywhere and like to crawl on the signs of stores at night. I'm not sure what they are exactly, but they remind me of little lizards. I'm cool with them as long as they keep their distance. I was warned today to be careful of any red-backed spiders and was also told that large cockroaches are very common here. Steve and I went shopping today and Steve saw a cockroach run across the ground and up a guy's leg!!! I would FREAK out if that happened to me!!! The first cockroach that I ever saw was on Australia day (January 26th), when they held their annual cockroach race. I have a video of this to post later!
Okay, these birds freak me out. They are quite large and look for food from you as if they were pigeons! I'm going to have to get over this bird fear of mine if I'm going to be living here!
I couldn't believe it when I first saw one of these hanging out on the sidewalk! A local told me that they are called water dragons and like it when you feed them sandwich meat (they are meat eaters!). I asked if they were nice and they guy said they were but he wouldn't recommend trying to pet one! I have seen a few of these since I have been here.
We walked through the Brisbane Botanical Gardens, which is basically a park in the city. Holy beautiful! It's like what you pay to see in Montreal!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Goo'day mates! So glad you made it!!! Was awaiting some new postings. Am a bit busy at work but will try to read all the new stuff soon! Did you have Tim-Tams yet?? mmmm!! xx Jolyne

Anonymous said...

Trust me, I would be freaked out too if those birds were flying around here! They are massive! I have to say that I love the lizards! Everything seems so tropical and very different. Except for the cockroaches...as I have been notified that we STILL have some in my school! If those buggers ever try to crawl up my leg I would not even think twice about killin it (this is a very harsh comment coming from a veggie like me!)
Can't wait to see more pics!
Love ya xox

Kat said...

Really nice pics. I love the flower! What an awesome experience! Everything is so different and new. Take some pics of your next grocery run ;)
You will definetely have to get over your fear of birds. That thing was HUGE!
I would lose my mind if one of those nasty little bugs crept up my leg!