Monday, January 29, 2007

An overview of Brisbane so far...

After finally arriving in Brisbane, we made our way through customs and then quarantine. It went quite easy. Everyone on the plane had to fill out a form stating why they were going to Australia and if you had any things that would not be allowed into the country (includes things like food, drinks, anything organic, even dirt on your shoes). They searched one of my bags because they thought I had a shell but it turned out to be hair products, which were okay. From the airport we headed to our hotel, which our cab driver told us was one of the most expensvie hotels in the city, with an average being $400 a night. We got 3 nights for that price through Expedia. The website said it was hot deal, and I guess they were right!
We're now staying at Vic's place. Vic's been awesome helping us to get settled and showing us around. All we've pretty much done since we got here is walk around and explore the city. I am already starting to know my way around and am starting to feel comfortable. I just have to be careful when I cross the street! I have seriously almost stepped out in front of cars a few times, because I look the wrong when I cross. I'm not looking forward to actually driving on the wrong side of the street!
We're definitely going to get in shape here! Average temps have been between 30 and 34 degrees and it's been quite humid (apparently uncommon humidity). So, between walking and sweating, we're definitely shedding some pounds!
We're both already getting tanned and that's with wearing SPC 30 daily. You have to be very careful here because skin cancer is very common! We're getting in the habit of loading on the sunscreen right after our shower each morning. They say Queensland (where will live in Australia) is the sunshine state and I believe it!
I have also found that it is much healthier here than in Canada. There are TONS (or heaps as they say here) of gluten free stuff and GI diet friendly options in restaurants. Fruit and veggies are very expensive though! We went to the grocery store for the first time the other day and I have to say that it really made me realize how far we are from home! Everything is SO different. There are a few of the same foods (even then they have different packaging) but not many. It's amazing how long it can take you to pick up a few groceries when you have no idea what kind of anything to get! Picking out laundry soap took me forever, not to mention the bread!!!
The Australian accent is cool and people are very friendly! I've had a little trouble understanding some of the older people when they speak to me but basically it's not too bad. A few people have already commented to me about how cool we sound when we talk. It's weird living somewhere where we have the strange accent. I asked a woman working at "Big W", which is basically Walmart (same signs and stuff) where the "washrooms" were and she didn't know what I meant. She's like.."Oh, you mean the toilet?". Apparently, it's called the toilet or loo here. Also, while we're talking bathrooms, there are 2 buttons for flushing on the toilet. One for a number 1 and one for a number 2. Basically a number 1 flush uses less water. So many things to get used to!
And as a last note before I head to bed, the money is strange to me here. There is no penny coin so if something comes to $11.11, you just give them $11.10. It rounds to the nearest coin. They have a 5, 10, 20, and 50 cent coin here (the 50 cent coin is HUGE and the 2 dollar coin in very small). They also have, a 1 dollar coin and 2 dollar coin. Tax is included in the cost of something, so if it's $10, you pay $10, which I love. And another cool thing about here...you don't tip! So, no pressure to leave an extra bit of money after eating out or getting your hair done!
Okay, gotta head to bed. I have more Brisbane pics to post tomorrow, so stay tuned:)

4 comments:

KrisZadziuk said...

So from the sounds of it...It's England but sunny lol. It's funny reading this as you're seeing every thing we saw the other way, when we arrived in Canada. PS it's the correct side of the road. PPS if you ask for the bathroom you'll get shown to the shower. PPPS so it's not just me that thinks that paying a different price at the counter is retarded!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very interesting place. Keep up the blog.

Paul.

Kristie said...

wow guys sounds amazing. I love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't know where to start...first off I have to ask if they have Grey's Anatomy??? It sounds really cool and I love the fact that you are now the foreigner with an accent! It adds to your sexiness darlin'!!! I'm sure it will take you a while to adjust, especially with the grocery shopping! I totally understand. When I visited Spain with Lydia we went to the store and it took us sooooooooo long to buy simple necessities! We kept looking for the "brand names"! It's a little scary buying unknown products! Glad to hear they have gluten free stuff...at least your belly can have a little rest after the pain you put it through your last couple of days in Montreal!!!
We sure do miss ya!