Monday, April 07, 2008

A "Poopy" Day...literally.

So, I awoke this morning to a strong smell of poop. I actually thought I was just dreaming at first, as I think the smell entered my dreams and sleep. Steve also thought I was dreaming when I yelled, "Steve wake up! Jesse had diarrhea everywhere!" Unfortunately, I wasn't just talking in my sleep. Jesse has been eating these little round things that fall off the palm trees in the backyard. They are small balls about the size of a melon ball that you might eat off a nice fruit buffet. They have a hard inner shell and a pulpy outer covering that does kind of smell like the inside of a pumpkin when you carve it at Halloween. Apparently, he ate a lot of them because he was a very sick puppy. There was poop all around our bed, as if he got stressed and came in to see us and then all the way out to the backdoor, where he was probably hoping to get out. It was disgusting. I don't get disgusted easily, but I actually gagged a few times trying to clean it up. The hardwood from the bedroom to the mudroom was easy to clean, but the carpet (where the most of it was, of course!) was much harder! It was awful and I can still smell it in our bedroom tonight. It reminds me of the smell of a baby room in a daycare, after they have just changed a few poopy diapers. Everything is cleaned up yet the smell of poop still lingers in the air. I've used cleaner, laundry stain remover spray and tea tree oil in hopes of getting rid of the odour. I just finished scrubbing the carpet AGAIN.
The ironic thing is that I haven't been looking forward to this week at all and was just saying to Steve last night that it was going to be a "shitty" week. I have my colonoscopy on Friday and have a CRAZY diet to follow from now until then. I can't even eat on Thursday from lunchtime until Friday night when it's over and the only thing that I can eat on Thursday morning is 4 pieces of white plain toast. The diet starts tomorrow and basically doesn't include eating anything yummy and only bare necessities. For anyone who knows how much I eat and how crappy I feel when I don't eat, you can guess how terrible this is going to be! I'm trying to stay optimistic but really, I'm thinking that this morning's event is just the beginning to a very poopy week. No pun intended.
As for Jesse, he seems much better tonight, although you can tell by these pictures that he wasn't well. We didn't feed him breakfast and he had a light dinner with cooked white rice (appartently good for dogs with the poops) and his energy seems better (he was more quiet than usual). As for the yard, Steve has temporarily fenced off the back where the palm trees are until we get a chance to rake up all the thingies (not sure what to call them). It'll mean racking everyday I'm sure as a lot of them fall off each day, apparently because it's autumn. So, until this stage of season passes, it'll be on the to-do-list daily. Guess this proves that Brisbane does have season changes after all.

6 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

ooooooooooh pooor jess! (poor you a little more but I have the jess visual to pity) Good luck this week. You can totally do it and you'll be fine. Keep yourself busy so you don't notice the food issue. AND can I just say that I'm not even craving chocolate. Probably helps that I have the stomach flu and can't eat anything but before that...still didn't want any!

Hollie said...

Pumpkin pie filling is good for doggies with the runs. And if your carpet is white, try pouring some peroxide on it to get rid of the smell, if its not white try vinegar and water. After the liquid, dry it with a towel then pour baking soda on it and let that sit for a long time, then vacuum it up.
Good Luck!

Hollie said...

Oh ya
I learned all this stuff from my kitten peeing on the mattress
That was not a good day either
sigh

Laura Blacker said...

Applesauce works as well for dogs. I always keep a jar in the cupboard.

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

I'm sorry to hear about Baby J. He's lucky he can count on such a good mommy to make him better.
He looks fantastic even when he's sick :)