Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Okay, now I'm feeling a little discouraged...

I thought I was on a role with this whole diet thing (see previous post), only to get the results of my food sensitivity testing back today and found out that I am extremely sensitive to cow's milk and also, although not as severely, sensitive to wheat, soy and nuts. This explains the constant stomach pains, including the bad one I have today. I thought I had been doing so well over the last few days but I've been eating wheat and nuts. I have to say, the dairy thing isn't such a big deal. I don't even like drinking milk. Yes, I will miss the Greek yogurt they sell here but, I'll live. Nuts and soy, not a huge deal, but the wheat thing sucks. That limits, yet again, what I can eat. Anyway, it's best I find out now and get used to it. Plus, if eating this way means I don't end up with the stomach pain I have today, then so be it. So here's to a diet of no sugar, dairy, wheat, nuts or soy. Sigh. Cardboard anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how you developed so many allergies??? I'm sure if you ask the doctor he/she can give you suggestions on what to eat or at least reffer you to a nutritionist. You should also look into vegan and indian cooking, they tend to have alternative recipes. Don't worry, it's an adjustment now, but you'll get the hang of it soon!
Love ya...

George said...

Geesh.....so you are lactose intolerant? That would explain the stomach pains. Having a wheat allegy at the same time really suxs. That said at least you know and can start planning a diet plan around them.

Hmmmmm....seafood every day.MMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Shrimp is one of the best foods you can eat and should be plentiful down under. Stir fry them up with fresh veggies on a bed a brown rice and you`re golden.

Buckwheat and brown rice flour are great wheat flour substitutes(no gluten) and can be used to make everything from pancakes to muffins.

You can also find pastas made from quinoia and rice flours that are gluten free so eat up with a tomato based sauce made from lean ground beef and veggies.

Don`t be discouraged...sounds like you just need to determine which foods are to be avoided and which are OK (on occasion) in moderation. Trial and error and let your body tell you if it works for you.
Geo