Saturday, March 10, 2007

I had to get pretty creative with these muffins. It's actually a gluten free recipe that calls for only natural sugar, that I have made before. Except, not all groceries are available here in Australia, that I used to get in Canada, so I had to improvise. Apparently, I'm not the only one...at the store a guy came up to me with a strange accent and asked if they sell baked beans in Australia. I was like..."Not sure, I have a whole list of things I'm wondering if they sell!" The recipe called for brown rice flour and soy flour, I had to use gluten/wheat/soy free flour because apparently you can't buy brown rice flour here and I can't have soy. It also called for 1 cup canned pumpkin, and judging by the guy's face at the store when I asked if they had canned pumpkin, they definitely don't have that here (which is weird because pumpkin soup is popular)...so, I used pureed baby food pumpkin with sweet corn. Instead of canola oil, I used olive oil, which I'm supposed to have a lot of and omitted the nuts and raisins (I'm not supposed to have either). Anyway, all this to say that they turned out yummy! And, it's actually a snack that I can eat! Which is great because I was getting a little tired of only having fruit and vegetables to munch on between meals! I have to say, I'm already starting to get the hang of this diet and we've been eating very well! We made an awesome curry chicken dish the other night, with brown rice and a great spaghetti sauce with gluten/wheat free pasta last night.

2 comments:

Kat said...

The curry dish sounded yummy!
Any belly aches after the muffins?
You sure are dedicated.
Can we meet in Hawaii this summer? Great I'll book the tickets.

Anonymous said...

I find it hard sometimes to come up with good veggie dishes and here you are whipping up some incredible things with limited ingredients. You are awesome!