Thursday, March 08, 2007

Crikey!

We just got our first power bill and it was $95.85!!! And we've only lived here for 3 weeks! That's a lot! I even called to make sure it was correct. So, either electricity is VERY expensive here or we use way too much of it!
Also, I met with a recruiter today about finding a job. She was very nice. I had to take a office word test and typing test to rate my skills. I didn't do terrible, but I didn't do great. I'm not sure how much help she'll be to me but I still feel good about having my resume in her hands. She suggested doing temp work for awhile, to get some work experience in Australia. I don't really want to do this. I would prefer to get something fulltime and get my feet planted, but I told her to inform me if something temporary comes up, that she thinks I could do. I can decide then if it's something I want. My only concern is that I don't want to start a temp job and then not have the time to do interviews and stuff for fulltime jobs. Anyway, I'm planning to just keep looking and see what happens. I'm trying not to get stressed out about this. People get jobs all the time, right? I just don't really know how to go about getting a receptionist position in a small office. Most job postings are through recruiters and they deal with very corporate companies. Anyway, like I said I'm not going to stress...
HOWEVER, I am stressed about the only box we mailed to Brisbane. Remember how we sold everything we own and stored what was left?? Well, I did pack one small box of the things that meant the very most to me...everything from Christmas tree ornaments to pictures and mailed it to Brisbane the week before we left. They said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get here. Well, has now been 7 weeks and no sign of it...I'm starting to worry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is your cousin from Toronto (Kay's daughter). Both of my two longest running full-time jobs, and the position where I am currently working, I got through temping (both started off as two week assignments). At most companies you get paid weekly, you can check out the company and position to see if you like it, they understand if you have to go for an interview because they know you're looking for full-time work, and if you do not like your assignment and they want to extend you you can turn it down. Most importantly, you get experience at companies down there and you can make connections. Give it a try. What could happen? You get paid, get out of the house, meet people, and you call the shots where, when and how long of an assignment you would like to work. Keep us posted.

Selena said...

Just to let you know cari sometime temp jobs can turn into fulltime jobs, some places in Canada use them as a trail period. My brother in-law wife has been at hers for 1yr, before they move this august for his school. It was only suppose to be a 4 month thing. Mail can be really slow sometimes too don't worry to much yet. Did you pay for tracking?

Kat said...

You will do well as you always do. Its just a lot to take all at once. So many changes, it can be overwhelming!
Do you have a tracking number for your package?

Anonymous said...

Think of it this way...if you don't find yourself a full time job I actually might be able to come and visit you this summer since you will have free time to show me around! Sorry for being so selfish...I actually do hope things work out for you!
I know how much that box of momentoes meant to you...I agree with Katie, check for a tracking number. Good luck