Thursday, June 17, 2010

HELP! I need some decorating advice!

Okay, so you see that very big white wall? That lives in our kitchen and back in March when we had that crazy storm and flooding, it got covered in water stain marks. Which, now has kind of worked in our favor because the landlord says we can paint it, any color we want! The problem is, we can't decide on a color. I'd like to make it a fun accent wall and eventually hang some prints on it. Any suggestions on color?
Here's the rest of the kitchen. Brown cupboards and an orange/gold/yellow-ish 70s floor. Never mind that broken drawer that Steve has to fix!
Looking into the kitchen from the dining/living room. It's not a very bright kitchen, even on a pretty sunny day. I would like to add some cheer in there but not have it be too over the top.
Looking out from the kitchen. More brown, this time bricks. We really need some color in this place! We've just signed on for another year here and I would really like to spruce the place up a bit, especially now that I'm home all day! I can't help but want it be a cozy, happy place!
Here it is, one last time, the wall. So, let me know what you think! I'm counting on all my lovely and talented blog readers!:)

8 comments:

Kristie said...

I think you need a big pop of color, but something that goes well with the orange. a citrusy-limey green comes to mind. not too light, you want real color, not pastel.

Unknown said...

I think Kristie has a good idea with green. You could paint the wall a light green and then use darker green decals that look like a forest over the top.

You could also paint it a luscious orange/yellow that looks like a sunset, capturing the warmth of hibiscus flowers.

Clotilde said...

I like to look at the trends on www.sico.ca for ideas... See what they would match with brown (the wood) and orange...

I like
Natural Cotton (Sico 6186-41) and
Monet's Cloud (6025-21).

Locally, I'm sure Dulux has some flyers you can take home with swatches at Bunnings...

Have fun!

Kristi Drennan said...

I'm thinking a blue. Something that will fit with the warm colors. But like a light blue. Not baby blue but something in the family. Maybe with a tint of turquoise.

The other color I thought of first was a orange. Maybe even like a burnt orange.

Vince said...

If you leave it white it could be like the forth plinth in Trafalgar Sq. You know empty but ready to take any sort of art.

Lovely blog btw

Angela said...

going to buck the trend and say red but with more earthy terracotta tones than fire engine red

Shan said...

At first I was thinking of burgundy, but that might be too dark for your space. My next thought was actually lime green, as long as it won't clash too badly with your floor! :o)

Clotilde said...

I thought about it again and light blue (Monet's Cloud) would offset the warm colours (orange, brown) with a colder one while the light would counter balance the dark wood...