Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Earth Day buzz...

Tomorrow is Earth Day and so, in preparation for the day, I've been talking about our planet with my kindergarten kids for a couple of days now. We've discussed how we can do our part to help keep our earth healthy, made earth related crafts and marked the day on the classroom calendar. I'm just not sure that the kids know what to really expect on Earth Day. They seem a little too...excited. One little girl said to me today with wide excited eyes, "I told my mom last night before I went to sleep that Earth Day is only 2 more sleeps away!!!" I'm starting to fear they expect an Earth Day Santa Claus who brings lots of presents made of recycled material or worse yet, an Earth Day kinder party with lots of cake and blue and green balloons. Yikes. In hopes of offering some sort of special treat to mark the day, and save ruining the hopes of all upcoming holidays in each of their 4 year old hearts forever, I made Earth shaped Rice Bubble (sorry, that's what they're called in Aus!) balls. It was an experiment but with the help of my handy hubby and lots of butter on our hands, we rolled those babies up in no time! I figure it's the least I can do considering I was the one to first mention this oh so very exciting day;)

6 comments:

heather said...

they look really yummy.:0)

Shan said...

You are so cute! Those squares are adorable! I wish I was in your class.

Anonymous said...

Only you could make Earth Day so exciting! Although I must say, when I was babysitting, the kids and I really had fun cleaning up the park on Earth Day. I don't know if they had counted the days up to it though and we didn't get to have green balls. You would have made it so much fun!!

Tracey said...

When I first saw this post, my mind thought, "Earth Day is in April here. That crazy Australia." After your last couple of posts, it just seemed like a natural progression. It wasn't until several hours later I realized, "Uh, it's April." Clearly I need to get more sleep. I will let my children know.

You are very clever to come up with this idea. They are beautiful and look tasty too. Were they enough to stave off disappointment?

Rice Bubbles? :)

Menopausal New Mom said...

What a cute idea! Bet the kiddies loved it! Happy Earth Day!

Clotilde said...

So, was Earth Day as good as they expected? Did they like the rice bubbles earths?