Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Out and About (I say in a thick Canadian accent!)

We've spent most of our first month here just bumming around the city and getting to know our way around. Here's a few snaps from here and there...
Check out the beak of the pigeon above!
Steve waiting patiently for the tram...
Is that the one?
I have to admit, I was a little scared of taking the tram by myself at first. I'm always a little scared of public transport until I know what I'm doing. Anyhoo, now that I am figuring it all out, I can't believe how easy and convenient it is! We hardly use the car anymore...it's great!
This is how I entertain myself while waiting for the tram...
Poor Steve;)
We've both been way more active since we moved here. We're walking everywhere and I started doing Bakram yoga, which is yoga in a super hot room. It's kind of like doing a 90 minute workout in a sauna and it's a workout all right! I talked Steve into trying it, because it is such a good detox and great exercise and now he's hooked too. I have to admit that after my first class, I was wondering if I would stick with it, but after 3 classes, I'm really starting to like it and I'm already getting used to the heat. Tomorrow will be my 4th class and it's only supposed to get easier. I have never sweat that much in my entire life! I could literally ring out my tank top and shorts at the end of class...yuck!

We are also trying to get out on our bikes more. The temps are just so much more exercise friendly here than in Brisbane. A couple of weekends ago, we went on a 20 km ride, starting at our house and all along the Yarra river. Like Brizzy, there are paths all along the river for runners and cyclists and people who just want to go for a nice stroll...
I even made some new friends on the ride...
Someone told us that they think these are some of the horses that pull people around the city (you always see them downtown). I'm usually a little scared of horses, but these ones were so kind and gentle and really enjoyed the grass we fed them! Next time, we're going to take some surprise sugar cubes in our pockets (Steve said horses like that!)
Hello Baby Horsie...
There were some cool climbing walls along the path...

Steve giving it a go.

We're both trying to lose some weight. We both gained a little in those last few months in Brisbane. I think the stress of everything and our routine being all out of wack once Steve stopped working didn't help. Anyway, there's a little friendly competition going on between Steve and I. The person who gets to their goal weight in 12 weeks gets $250 to spend. If we both do, then we split the money. If either of us lose more than our goal, then we get an extra $125. I think it'll help keep us both motivated! Weigh in day was yesterday, so, let the game begin!:)

1 comment:

Kristi Drennan said...

I love it! I love it all! I think Matt and I need to do that goal weight thing too! OH I'm sooo glad to see you again via blog! Can't wait to chat.