Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mmmm...cookies...

I love baking. I have always enjoyed baking but lately, I love it. There's something about turning up the tunes and losing yourself in a good recipe, with the delicious smells and heat filling the kitchen and overflowing into the whole house. I swear it's like therapy for me. It takes my mind off anything that's bothering me and makes me feel creative. I read today (yes, in one of my many self-help books...which by the way...I don't really need thaaaat much self-help, I just find them inspiring!) that when you're feeling creative, or at peace, you're acting in your higher, more confident self...the happiest place you can be. Guess that's the me that shines through when I bake. Now, if only I could make a living baking, I'd be all set! What activity do you do that makes you feel creative, happy and at peace? It's unfortunate that mine doesn't involve exercise and in fact is the complete opposite! ;)
My pal Kristi first told me about these chocolate chip cookies, which have since seemed to become a legend! Everyone is buzzing about them! I know I posted cookies awhile back that I said were healthy but really, truly, these ones are!! Not only do they have chick peas in them, but I used my usual dairy free margarine, gluten free flour and dairy free dark chocolate and boy are they yum!
Kristi posted the original recipe on the "Yum, Fun and then Some" blog ( http://yumfunandthensome.blogspot.com/) but here's what I did to make them Cari proof (a.k.a wheat and dairy free), just in case anyone reading this has to eat like me! I'm not sure if all these ingredients are sold in Canada, but it's worth a look! Might be able to find something similar.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. Nuttelex (http://www.nuttelex.com.au/home) Side note: Nuttelex is amazing! It tastes just like regular margarine and is perfect for baking!
2 large egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla
15 oz. can of chick peas (rinsed and drained)
~ 1 c. dark chocolate. (I bought a Lindt 70% cocoa bar and chopped it up in very small pieces). The original recipe calls for regular chocolate chips.
2 c. Orgran Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (luckily, I can eat gluten, just not wheat!)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees or 176 degrees Celsius for those of you baking in Australia!
Beat sugar and butter until smooth.
Beat in egg whites and vanilla, then chick peas and chocolate.
Sift in flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
Mix until a dough forms.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Drop by tablespoon on cookie sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes. Do not overbake. I don't know if it was because I changed the recipe but I found that they don't really spread out, so it's hard to tell when they are cooked, but exactly 13 minutes in my oven left them golden brown on the bottom and on the peaks of each cookie.
And that's it! Thanks Kristi! Enjoy everyone!
By the way, it's chilly today, well by Aussie standards, it's chilly. It's 25 degrees today and raining, so the perfect day to bake! I actually had to get out my slippers, as I found the floors cold! Sounds crazy, but seeing as it hit a sunny 40.2 degrees on Saturday (that's without factoring in humidy!!), 25 degrees really does seem cool!

4 comments:

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Selena said...

They look good, I going to try and make similar ones and also chocolate browns with spinach and blueberries in them. I can't wait to get baking, I love baking too, and would love to do it everyday but than I would be a big as a house. I already bake and give it away has it is. haha ooopss I was signed in as Dh so the deleted post was me.

Kristi Drennan said...

Yay I'm glad you like them! I too have some other good ones for you like Selena was saying...brownies with spinach etc...but I want to make them before I recommend them! It may be worth it to you to get the book Deceptively Delicious. Or I can get it for you and send it if it's too expensive there. Or copy mine for you! You just let me know!!! xo

bcode said...

Oh my goodness Cari I am so excited to eat my share of these cookies!! I am sure they are absolutely fantastically delicious and will seem even more so when contrasted with whatever vegetarian delights china airlines decides to serve me. You are so thoughtful and sweet to think of my flight home and my tummy thanks you!!!