Sunday, February 24, 2008

Blogging Book Club catch up

Remember how I said that I would catch up on what I've been reading? Well, I'm finally doing it! Here's the 3 books that I've read since just before Christmas...
I recently re-read "Living with Joy" (ignore the crappy picture, it's the only one I could find!), because I was given the next book in the series for Christmas and wanted to remember the first before I read the second. Plus, this a great book to read over and over, as it really helps to put things into perspective and build you back up, if you're feeling down. I love this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys self-help kinds of books. I'm a sucker for them! Keep in mind that you do have to be open-minded, as the author writes the book through her higher power that comes to her while meditating. It sounds a bit coo-coo, I know, but the information is great! I'm looking forward to reading the next book. I hear it's just as good.

I read this book while we were on our cruise. I thought it was a very interesting read and I learned a lot about life in Afghanistan that I didn't know. However, it was also a tough read at times, as I don't cope well with knowing that other people live such pain. I'm way too sensitive and usually lose sleep thinking about this stuff! Seeing as the book is the true story of one woman's life growing up in this country, it was even harder! Although, having said that, I am glad that I read this book and would suggest others read it. It really makes you appreciate the life we live as women in our countries.



It feels like ages ago that I read this book! It was okay. I love biographies and I like self-help books, so of course I had to give this a try. She makes some interesting points at times in this book and a couple of things that she wrote about do stand out in my mind, but I'm not sure that I would say it's a must run out and read. She seems lovely and I did relate to her a bit, but not completely. It does make you realize that life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence though. Money and success do not buy happiness.


Okay, so at the moment I'm reading 3 little books that I picked up at a used bookstore for $1 each. They're called, "Take Care of Yourself", "The Little Book of Wellbeing" and "The Little Book of Confidence". I wasn't joking when I said that I like self-help kinds of books! Anyway, I haven't decided what I want to read next. I bought a couple of books awhile ago and I have the book that I got for Christmas, but I'm thinking I'd like to read a Jane Austen book. We had a girls movie night last Tuesday and we saw the movie "The Jane Austen Book Club" and I felt inspired to read one of her books that I haven't read before. Anyway, once I finally make up my mind, I will post a picture of what I'm reading! Here's a pic of our last girls' movie night, minus Brianna and I...



1 comment:

Kristi Drennan said...

Good job on the book review! I love the self help books myself! I'm trudging through Eat, Pray, Love...I'm hoping it will grab my attention soon and suck me in. We'll see.