Sunday, February 24, 2008

Boys and their toys


Well, winter is on it's way here in Australia, so that means its prime running season. I started running back in April of 2007, (at a weight of 215 pounds) at first I walked at lunch, then walking with a little running, eventually it became all running. I really enjoy my lunch time runs, it helps to break up the work day and my route along the Brisbane river is fantastic, I never get bored of seeing pelicans, lizards, fish jumping and topless sun bathers. (I've only seen topless sun bathers 3 times, but who's counting) My lunch time route varies between 5km and 10km in length.
So, to kick off a new season on the run, I went out and picked up some new kit. First off, I needed a new pair of runners, my old shoes were passed the replacement stage, so I have retired them to "walking the dog shoes". Second, I picked up a new pair of Adidas running shorts (the really short ones with the slits up the side) and a running shirt, my old ones still have a lot of life in them, but if I run 2 or 3 days in a row, I have to wash them constantly, so I wanted to have another outfit to spread out the wear and tear. Third, I got myself a gadget!!! I'm excited about my new toy!!! Its a Polar RS200sd heart rate monitor. This sweet little computer will do the following...
- Store laps and view lap times
- View your current heart rate.
- Calories burned
- Check your speed/pace
- Check the distance you have run so far
- Check your target heart rate zone and check whether you are within your target limits.
You can see in the above pic there's a black pod attached to the top of my new shoe, that keeps track of my pace and distance. It looks really big, but I don't notice it at all when I run. I'm really looking forward to seeing if the heart rate monitor will help me with my weight loss and my running performance. There's 7 fun run/races coming up that I want to enter, a lot of them are trail runs(with distances of 10, 30, 50, 80, 100 and 160km, I would start off with the 30km ditance)
I am also aiming to do some triathalons this year, or at least start training for 2009, I've been looking into getting a second hand road bike but I'm really picky when it comes to bikes, plus I only have a certain amount that I'm willing to spend, so its going to be a slow go. I've bid on 2 so far on ebay but lost both auctions.
Currently, my weight is about 188 - 190 pounds. I have a birthday goal (june 15th) of reaching 170 pounds. At that point my focus will be less on weight loss and more on endurance and speed.
Steve (40 is only 9 years away) Dickinson

2 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

Give'er go'er and get'er done Steve!

George said...

Nice gear dude!

The Polar is a cool rig. Once you determine your training zones it is a good way to tailor your training for optimum performance.

Once you determine your resting and max heart rate then determine your lactate theshold. Training just under your LT is where you wanna be.

The science of it all is cool.Check out my blog for an interesting thing about sports hydration.

Geo