Thursday, February 28, 2008

A freebie day!

So, I was thinking today...it's February 28th, which would normally be the last day of this short month, but not this year! It's a leap year. So, out of curiousity, I googled why we have leap years (I had no idea!) and found this...
"We say there are 365 days in the year and by this we mean that it takes the earth 365 days to make its annual trip around the sun. Actually, though, it takes the earth 365-1/4 days to make this trip. This means that every year we gain one-fourth of a day and every four years we gain one full day. If we did nothing about this, our calendar would move backward one full day every four years relative to our seasons. To keep this from happening, we capture the extra day every four years and put it into our smallest month, February."
Then I heard them refer to the the extra day on the radio as the day that the earth re-balances itself. They were asking people what they were planning to do with this extra day to re-balance themselves. I think this is such a great way to look at this day! It's a whole extra day that we are only given every 4 years, we should make the most of it and do something extra special for ourselves! So, now I'm deciding what I want to do tomorrow. What are you going to do to celebrate this freebie day??
I was also told by a patient at work that women are supposed to ask men to marry them when it's a leap year! So, for all you ladies out there waiting for your man to pop the question...maybe this is your year to do the asking!!! ;)
I reckon (Aussie moment!) leap years are exciting!





3 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

And that is why you are my friend Cari. For you will find something amazing in something that people take for granted. I think for my extra day...I will shop...not just because I was going to anyway but now I will feel like it's okay to spend the money. I do not have a zen thought for it but I'm excited to think about rebalancing. Maybe tomorrow will be a goal day....

Missa's adventures said...

That is really cool! I knew a little bit of the science behind it...but now I actually understand it! You should get back into teaching :)
Love ya...

Clotilde said...

Did you know that years that can be divided by 100 (ex: 1900) are not leap year, unless they can also be divided by 400 (ex: 2000)? I was all excited that Y2K would not be a leap year, but then disappointed to find out it is the exception to the exception to the rule! There's a great article on Wikipedia that explains it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_year.

My extra day is really an extra day since I took the week off to be with my friend from Edmonton, but her flight was early this mornings, so I get to stay home, yeah! Appart from packing for the weekend, I'm planning on getting my sewing machine out and really looking forward to it!

Enjoy your leap day Cari and see yo tonight!