Thursday, February 15, 2007

More of the usual ramblings...

Thought I'd give you an update. It feels like there is a lot going on with us but nothing really all that interesting to anyone else, but still I'll share! Yesterday, we went and signed the lease for the house we are renting. I find renting in Australia is VERY strict. We had to watch a slide show thing all about the rules of renting and they do an inspection of your place every 4 months! I find that really weird but the real estate agent thought it was weird that they don't do them in Canada. I was also pretty upset when we got there to sign the lease and they told us that Jesse was okay, as long as he was ALWAYS outside the house. Again, apparently this is the norm here, even with people who own their homes. I guess since it's always so warm and since there is a whole huge area under the house that's basically like a basement but without solid walls (there are no foundations with the cottage style house), just fencing around the area...that's where the dogs can stay. It's a large area. That's actually where our washing machine and laundry sink is. We were also saying that Jesse might like being outside more and we're talking about buying him a used couch for under the house, that will be just his couch. Steve thinks that we'll still be fine bringing Jesse in, we'll just have to keep his nails very short so that he doesn't scratch the floors. Still, it does bother me a bit to have that hanging over our heads. People we have talked to agree that they find it weird that we have our dog inside all the time, saying that they have never had their dog stay inside the house. The lady we spoke to at the bank was saying that she has a border collie and he sleeps outside. It's just weird to me because at home, that would be considered neglectful, but here it's the way of life! Anyway, I'm sure it'll work out. Just made Steve and I think that if we decide to stay here for awhile, we will save and buy a place of our own.
After the lease signing ordeal, we went furniture shopping. We got a beautiful bed and a comfy mattress at a FANTASTIC price. It's getting delivered to the house tomorrow. I'm going to go to the house tomorrow to get some basic cleaning done and then we're hoping to rent a truck to get the fridge and washer that we're buying from a guy Steve works with, on Saturday and also to go pick up a few of the bigger things we need to get. Once that stuff gets there, we'll start sleeping there, so hopefully by Saturday night. Tonight, Steve and I are going to go buy a few more things we need (mostly kitchen stuff) and drop it off at the house. I also need to fill out this very long inspection report of what I see in the house that might be wrong and deliver it by tomorrow at 5. So much to do!
This morning I went to see a naturopath who has a degree in nutrition. She is sending me for food allergy testing and some other blood work. I got a doctor referred by her, which worked out well. I'm really hoping that the tests will explain the stomach pain I get, so I can know and just work at making it better.
Steve and I also went to a furniture store, just down the street from his work, today at lunch. They have beautiful stuff and GREAT prices. We got a solid wood table with 4 chairs for only $464, including the delivery costs! We have been getting some excellent deals. Furniture really is much cheaper here than in Canada and the wood is so nice!
It's actually been raining here for the last few days. It's strange though, it will rain really hard (like it's doing at this exact moment) and then be sunny again. It's only been one day that it was dreary and rainy all day. Steve liked it. He said it reminded him of a Nova Scotia rainy day. Apparently, February is the rainy season here. Rain is good, they need it. You should have seen the list of rules that we got about water usage! You're not even allowed to fill a child sized pool with tap water and sprinklers and hoses are banned. That's definitely going to take some getting used to!
So, that about brings you up to date. I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seat! hehe:) Hope everyone had a happy Valentine's Day!
Hope you had a very Happy Birthday Corey. I tried to email you but for some reason it wouldn't work! But I didn't forget!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont really find that weird that the dog sleeps outside. It's not like it's -40 there. My dog used to sleep outside in his doghouse all the time in NewBrunswick. I am sure Jessie will adapt quite well. Steve can start building him a nice doghouse. xxx jolyne

KrisZadziuk said...

Yeah it's not that bad, because you'll have a garden so I think you will be fine, there are so many appartments and it gets so cold in Montreal that thats why it seems strange.

My dog back home rarely leaves the kitchen, and she likes to spend most of her time in the garden, and sleeps on a mat in the kitchen (she likes the cold floors). She comes into the front room as a treat.

With Jesse being such an outdoorsey dog, he'll love it, and the getting a second hand sofa for him is a great idea.

I'm sure that in the height of summer when Brisbane is boiling hot, you'll wish you could sleep outside.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I don't think it's weird a dog sleeps outside, when I was a kid I used to have a pet cat and he slept outside.

Karine

George said...

Yup.....Jessie will love it. He is a dog afterall. Hmmm....a nice shady spot under the house that lets a breeze blow through sounds nice. Methinks Jessie might have to grab dibs on the outside couch from Steve......lol.

C`mon Cari...remember old Ginger. That tomcat lived outside for his whole life and it was a long one at that.

Geo

Anonymous said...

Just wait until he tangles with one of those frogsand licks it. He will love the outsides, he will have a new addiction. You might have to take him to doggy rehab.