Saturday, February 03, 2007

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Today Steve, Vic and I went to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (http://www.koala.net/index.htm). We hopped on a bus downtown and for $4.50 each, round trip, we made our way to the Sanctuary (it took about 30 mins). It was a nice drive and a good way to see some of the parts of the city that are further out. The Sanctuary was AWESOME. As you can see, I got to hold a koala and feed and pet kangaroos! Obviously, these kangaroos are very friendly. Remember how much I loved the penguins at the Biodome? Well, I think the Koalas may be my new favorite friend to watch! They are SO cute. I want one as a pet. There were baby koalas, mama koalas, bachelor koalas and even koalas as old as 12 years old. The oldest koala that they have ever had there was 23 years old. There were also other creatures, such as snakes, walabies, wombats, frogs, crazy HUGE bats, I think they are called red fox bats (these things fly around Brisbane at night. I have a video to post...they are HUGE!!!!! The first ones I saw, I thought were crows!), dingoes, fresh water crocs, weird birds, scrub turkeys and some other animals that we have in Canada, like sheep, ponies, emus and ducks. It was really cool. Also, I thought it was kind of neat that they showed what celebrities have had their pics taken with the koalas. From the ones I remember...Claire Daines, Janet Jackson, Claudia Schiffer, even dates back as far as Audrey Hepburn (the Sanctuary has been open since 1927). Anyway, it was really cool to hold the koala. He was so snuggly! We had a really good day, ending with a good dinner at an Irish pub in the CBD (central business district) of Brisbane.


My foot and a kangaroo's foot.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Those are fantastic pictures! I love the one of you holding the koala! I'd like to go when I visit...Nice pic of the gonads too Steve;)

Anonymous said...

Did you say BACHELOR koalas :) hihi. I never knew kangaroos had such massive feet! It's a little scary.