Monday, February 05, 2007

My girlie review of shopping in Brisbane...

This post is directed to all my girlfriends who like to shop as much as I do. Shopping in Brisbane sucks. I miss shopping in Montreal. Why does it suck, you might ask? Well, for starters, I don't really like the styles here. It's a lot of very frumpy sundresses and they layer strange things together. For example, a t-shirt I might wear to bed, they put under a fitted sundress. Then to top the outfit off, they wear a belt around their boobs (yes...around their boobs...okay well, just under, but still it's not flattering) and they put on a pair of leggings and boots that I would wear for winter in Canada! I'm sorry but, they HAVE to have smelly feet at the end of the day!!! And why would you want to wear leggings when it's 30 degrees??? Also, I find women's clothes to be VERY expensive. I'm used to Montreal where there are ALWAYS sales and when I say sales, I mean shirts/skirts/etc... for $5! And even when there's not a sale, there was always those staple stores to fall back on that had nice stuff cheap...you know like Dynamite and Suzy. I haven't found a single one of those stores yet and the average ugly sundress here costs about 70 bucks! The cheapest pair of capris that I have seen...$70. If I loved them then maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but even at $70, it's nothin' special. I have been shopping a few times now, as I really do need some summery stuff. I seriously haven't seen ANYTHING I want. I did buy that one dress at the market, but as far as shops and malls go, nothing. This is very disappointing. I guess on a positive note, it will help me save money...Or maybe I just haven't been to the right shops...Is there still hope....?
Oh and one more thing...I knew there was a reason why I was going to bring all that nail polish with me...I went to buy a bottle of nail polish the other day and the average bottle of polish was $11 and that was at Big W (like a Walmart)!!! That's just crazy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that sounds nasty. Not a flattering style. Brisbane sounds like the Australia version of Canada's Banff...hippy...kind of sloppy style....hmmm. Good luck! I'm sure that are some nice stores that you didn't find yet!!

Stac

Kat said...

Do you realize how much nail polish you will get as gifts from now on?lol

Anonymous said...

This is a state of emergency! I have a solution though...go to the Dynamite website and choose what you want and I can ship it to you! hehe, might work.
Oh and by the way... so sorry for taking all of you nail polish :)

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Frumpy dresses are no good.

I'm sure there are other places. Why not try doing an interent search on specific brand names in Brisbane.

Pauline.

Anonymous said...

Well, your pink nailpolish is looking nice on my toes, inside my tights, leg warmers and extra socks and then winter boots!! LOL! We could ship them over for you? heheh.. Maybe a trip to Sydney for shopping will put your spirits up?
They have big department stores there and from what I remember in Melbourne, nice cheap tops/skirts/shorts.. You didnt find any 'outlet stores'? they have some usualy for all cheap billabong stuff... xx Jolyne

Unknown said...

Try the weekend markets for some funkier stuff (I agree with you about the normal shops... eerk!)

- Kate (uno, Morg's wife) :)