Monday, July 05, 2010

Progress!

I haven't been a great blogger these last few weeks, have I? Truth is, I've been very focused on feeling better and this has meant lots of reading and research! I'm being really proactive about my health and learning as much as I can, experimenting and finding what works best for me. I rest, do gentle forms of exercise (walking and yoga) daily, see my chiropractor regularly, take my vitamins, avoid alcohol, etc...but it wasn't until I changed my diet that I really started seeing results. You may have previously read that I started following the Paleo diet. Through keeping a food diary, I closely monitored my symptoms and strangely found that my IBS like symptoms (something I was told I have 3 years ago) actually got worse after eating lots of fruit and vegetables. This was incredibly discouraging, but after talking to a few people at my chiropractor's clinic, I started looking into fructose malabsorption. This is similar to having a lactose intolerance, only your body doesn't process high levels of fructose well. To my surprise, the foods listed as high in fructose (most fruit and lots of veggies, among other things) were all the foods that I seemed to be eating and feeling dreadful afterward. I decided to cut all foods high in fructose out of my diet, along with the gluten, dairy and soy (which I've already known I'm sensitive to). This chart has been like a bible to me! Seriously, that very day, I started feeling more myself again than I have in months and it's only been better with each new day. This is only day 4 of eating this way and I have had no IBS symptoms, a clear head (I feel like I've come out of a fog), stable emotions and more energy than I have had in ages. I haven't even needed a nap in the last few days. It's amazing! I'm hoping this lasts, but for now I feel like I've made great progress on my road to better health! I have no idea why, it makes so much sense, but the impact your diet has on your health continues to amaze me!

1 comment:

Nick and Mariana Vona said...

I am glad to hear you're feeling better!
I know your pain when it comes to food intolerances and IBS. I suffer from the same. I will follow that chart you posted and see if that can help me too =)!
Mariana