Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Melbourne...Day 3

Sunday morning we awoke with a big day planned. Seriously, we did a lot in 4 days! It never felt busy busy though, which is good. We just kind of went where we went, when we felt like it but still managed to see and do so much. It really was the perfect weekend. I feel like we got a good taste of the city and all that it has to offer. I'm sure the next time we go, there will still be lots to discover but for a 4 day trip, I feel pretty content with all that I saw and all that we did!

We went for breakfast at a Pancake Parlour called "Lovely". It was soooo yummy! We kind of stumbled upon it while we were shopping but I later saw a pamphlet for it at the airport, so I think it's a pretty old, well known place to eat. I was impressed that you could get any of their pancakes as either buttermilk or buckwheat!
And the OJ was fresh squeezed!

They had a silly mirror too!
After brekky, we went to the Melbourne aquarium. There was one section where you walked though a tunnel and the fish swam all around you...it was pretty cool!
Jelly fish...the top ones are upside-down jelly fish! I had never heard of them!

We headed to the famous Vic Market for a little sight-seeing and shopping. I love markets, so of course, I loved this one but it was extra special because it seemed very old school. It's a huge market with everything from meat to seafood to fruit to veges to wine to cheese to retail...ok you get the point! Anyway, the butchers all scream out there prices and try to compete with each other. It was pretty cool to see and hear...it just felt like you stepped back in the olden days!
Prices seemed good and although the retail stuff is a little cheap and crappy, there is still some good stuff. I bought a cool handbag there. The market is open everyday except Monday and Wednesday. I think it would be a cool place to get your weekly groceries!
For lunch, we went to a restaurant called "Cookie". It was highly recommended by Jeff, so of course we had to check it out! It was yummy and a very cool atmosphere...I'm not exaggerating when I say I asked about 10 people where this place was and it took us until Sunday to actually find it! There was a lot of walking involved in our search for it! Luckily, it was worth the effort and the restaurants we stopped in when we were too hungry to keep looking for Cookie were good too!
I thought it was so creative that the bill came in a children's book! Of course, I had to take a picture! I had this book when I was a kid!
We went back to Southbank in the evening for a walk and to take some pictures, since we didn't take the camera with us when we were there on Saturday night. We took a stroll by the water and stopped for an amazing dessert and tea.

Just one of the many old buildings on our walk back to the hotel...

1 comment:

Kristi Drennan said...

totally looks like Montreal a bit. so I guess not totally ha ha ha! But that last building reminds me of Montreal. Love the cookie place.