Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!

I was determined not to miss out on yet another holiday (having missed Easter, Canada Day, and Thanksgiving), so I went shopping for some Halloween decorations. I checked all the obvious stores, Big W (basically Walmart), Target and a few of the less obvious stores, only to find....nothing. Not a single thing. No decorations, costumes, not even a regular pumpkin. I have never seen a pumpkin like we're used to in Canada. They do sell small greenish orange ones for cooking (because canned pumpkin doesn't exist here either!), but that's all I've ever seen. So, what does a girl do when all hopes of Halloween traditions seem to be out the window? Bake, of course! I decided to bring a little bit of Halloween to Brisbane. Although, I do think some people celebrate, as Steve heard on the radio this morning that Halloween is getting more popular each year. But, by the looks of what I saw...well, didn't see... in the shops, they have a long way to go! Anyway, I made and decorated 5 dozen cupcakes for Steve's work and my work. It was fun and satisfied my "must do something relating to a holiday" urge. The sugar I consumed while decorating all those cupcakes definitely satisfied any craving for Halloween candies or lollies, as they call them here. They're supposed to be eyeballs. Jesse really liked them and patiently sat with me the whole time I baked and decorated them. I think he missed being dressed up this year...I KNOW Steve did! ;) Happy Halloween to everyone back home! Hope you have an extra spooky one!

5 comments:

Selena said...

good job on the cupcakes glad you are having some halloween fun!! They sure look yummy.

Laura Blacker said...

My sister-in-law, Tara, from Sydney is up with Cam on vacation. This is the first ever Halloween that she has participated in with handing out candy and taking our friends' kids out for trick or treating. She is surprised how much some of the houses are decorated. The cupcakes look great.

Kat said...

5 dozen!!!WOW!
You are a bakin fool!
They look great and I love the pic of Jess.
I saw someone wearing a nerd costume like Steve did last year. It still makes me laugh!

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes look amazing! You are now afficially the Martha Steward of Brisbane!
Hope you had a spooky Halloween :) The weather here was amazing 17 degrees and there were sooo many children! We ran out of candy after only 1 hour!!!!!!

Kristi Drennan said...

that's so weird about halloween! even weirder that they don't sell canned pumpkin!