Sunday, June 10, 2007

Life lately...


This past week has been a bit of a crappy one. My tummy aches have come back for no apparent reason and I started getting a toothache. Luckily, our landlord at work is a dentist, so I popped in quickly to see her on Friday and the bad news...I need a root canal!!! And, I just have to say that dentist stuff is not cheap either! I'm currently taking antibiotics to help with the pain, in case an infection has flared up. Ugh.

On top of that, we've been freezing in our house! Yesterday morning it was only 12 degrees and I'm not joking, our house was sooooo cold. The floor was like ice, the toilet seat felt like when you pee on a toilet at a campground in late September in Canada and even my glasses were freezing on my face when I put them on! This is the kind of chilly in Canada that would definitely require the heat to be turned on but we don't have a heater! I went yesterday and bought a couple of sweaters and today I'm going to buy a coat. I actually wore my scarf yesterday that my Mom made me and Steve ironed his socks in hopes of warming his feet! Who knew it could get so cold here?!
Anyway, things are looking up. We're actually in the middle of another long weekend, thanks to the Queen and her birthday, and we're going to a Queensland Day festival in the park later today. I think we'll also swing by the market...Jeff wants to get a chopping board for his new place and I just like looking!

I have to admit, I've been feeling pretty far from home these days, but am making the most of it. I know that I won't feel like this forever. I remember how homesick I felt in Montreal and now I miss it!! As my co-worker would say, It's just like a wave, that will come and go, like a wave in the ocean. She believes everything in life comes and goes like the waves in an ocean and we just have to ride out the wave, knowing it will pass. Kind of a nice way to look at things. Anyway, I sure do miss all you guys though! Hope you're having a great weekend!

Above is the bird that visited us yesterday on our back deck. He was very tame and let me get close to take a picture. I have to say, that of all the birds in this place, this guy sings the prettiest song. It's very nice to hear.

5 comments:

Kat said...

It's nice to see you ended your post on a nice note. NO PUN! LOL. I kill myself! Very nice bird pic.
That seriously sucks about your tooth. That must be very painful, I can only imagine. My wisdom teeth hurt after they came out only because I got an infection. That's the worst part. They give you lots of pain killers, so it'll make your recovery an easier one.
Maybe a space heater would help for the esp. cold nights? I had a good laugh reading about Steve and his socks!
Did Jeff find a new place that fast? Congrats to him. How's he liking it?
I like the ocean comment, its a good way of looking at things.
I get homesick a lot too, and I'm wet behind the ears compared to you! Things will get better, it really helps to keep in touch regularly, I talk to my mom like 3 times a week on the phone and we e.mail each other like 10 times a day! lol
Email me your number I'll call and bug you! :)

MacPurdys said...

Hang in there Cari ... your not missing much here in Montreal. Weather has been (for the most part) crap. This weekend was finally nice so all the "Schumachers" (disclaimer: In no way do I mean this remark in a racist or bigotist way. I mean it strictly as an adjective to replace more commonly used descriptions like: loosers or lamoes.) could wear there ferrari hats, shirts, pants, socks, shoes, underwear and watches and not get them wet at the F1 race. Although I must admit that the city really comes alive for this weekend. I guess it is the kick off to summer. Anyways I have to go ... I'm getting a ferrari tattoo. It will match the my new ferrari tube socks. CIAO!!

Your ever politicaly UN-correct friend,

Darryl

Kristi Drennan said...

cute bird!! We have those fun suicidal ones that are all black with a bit of red. AND we have these other black ones that have a purple-ish shimmer to them...there was a ton on my lawn the other day! Glad we got to chat last night! Hope you have a good day at work today (your tuesday!)

Anonymous said...

We sure do miss you here! But I do agree that it will pass. Once you get used to your new surroundings and the new way of life, the homesick feeling will come around less often! Please get in touch with me more often. i know it's dificult with the time difference, but you have no idea how lonely it's been without you! I really feel like something is missing.
With the colder weather coming, just pretend your in Montreal on a typical fall day!
I sypathise with your dental crisis! My insurance does not cover dental work and it's so expensive! They really don't cut corners! Maybe your landlord can cut you a deal!

George said...

Hey Sis;
Hang in there! FTR - the weather here sucks as well. Damp, wet and cool.
Sucks about the tooth.Hope you are feeling better soon.
Geo