Monday, November 03, 2008

Halloween Down Under...

So, Halloween isn't really celebrated in Australia. Apparently, it's because Aussies think it's too "American", which seems strange since they like so many things about the idea of "America" but anyway...Last year, I couldn't find anything for Halloween but there seemed to be way more stuff this year, decorations, costumes and even, real, Halloween...pumpkins!!! I have never seen them here before and I'm not alone, because I carved 2 at work with the kids and parents and staff were shocked at how it was done and they all asked me where I found orange pumpkins. It was funny to be around grown adults who had never even seen a carved Halloween pumpkin! They were all asking me how to do it and were saying they were going to try to make one next year. Two of our staff members at work took my carved pumpkins home to show their family and the one that we made at home, that Steve took to work was taken home by his co-worker to show his kids. I feel like we spread some serious Halloween joy in Brisbane!:)
This is some of the pumpkin carving in action...
Jes was very interested and later proceeded to lick the carved pumpkin once it was lit!
I did the design on the pumpkin and Steve cut it out...

...and Volia! Mr. Pumpkin Head!

Darryl and Stacey brought the kids over trick or treating which was fun. They looked so cute! I learned from parents at school that if you really want to organize trick or treating in your neighborhood, you write up a letter explaining how it all works and then pop it into your neighbors' mailboxes. Then on Halloween, you hang a balloon on your mailbox if you're participating in the event and giving out candy. Thought that was a good way to get Halloween trick or treating started...apparently it works and a few neighborhoods have started getting really into it! Who knows, Halloween might really take off over the next few years!
Hope everyone at home had a fun and spooky Halloween!
Thanks to Katie for my Halloween ecard...it was true Katherine fashion and made me smile!:)





2 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

well they just need to bring in the Canadians and Halloween will be enjoyed by all! They're really missing out!

George said...

There you go....your mission if you choose to accept it. Bringing Halloween to Brisbane.
Geo