Saturday, April 28, 2007

Not the worst news ever, but still not great...

As everyone now knows, Jesse arrived in Sydney last week (Thursday). The quarantine policy is that for the first week, the dogs are not allowed to leave their own yard area, which means Jesse has been cooped up with absolutely NO exercise. For those of you who know Jes, he can get pretty hyper with no physical activity. Jesse wouldn't even be exercised, unless we hire a dog walker (even then the quarantine rules only allow the dog walker to walk him 3 times a week for 1/2 an hour, which isn't great but better than nothing). The dog walker costs $20 per half hour but is well worth the money if Jes is actually getting a run and some attention. I spoke to Naomi, the lady caring for Jes at the quarantine and it sounds like Jesse is VERY hyper. So, I contacted the dog walker, he called the quarantine to arrange times, everything was good to go. EXCEPT, when the dog walker called the quarantine, they told him Jesse is not allowed to be walked because his blood work did not come back clear! The quarantine didn't even call to tell us! So, after hearing it from our dog walker, I called the quarantine. Turns out, the results are showing a possible chance of him having Ehrlichia. I googled it and apparently it's caused by ticks. I have no idea if he actually has this (I'm wondering how it didn't show up in the 4 million blood tests he had before he left Canada) but because he hasn't been cleared by quarantine, he isn't allowed to be exercised or leave his own kennel area at all, until the results of the second test that they did on April 26th comes back, which can take up to 10 days. This really sucks for a few reasons. The biggest one is that Jesse will go 3 whole weeks without a single bit of exercise and worst case scenario, he has this ehrlichia thing, he has to go on medication for 2 weeks and then be re-tested and then wait another 10 days for the results. Which means a whole other month in quarantine, without leaving his own area and a whole lot more money. Steve and I are both trying to be positive about this but we still can't help but be worrying about Jesse and the situation. It's also hard because there is nothing we can do. We just have to wait the next 10 days and see what happens. Poor puppy...he's used to being so spoiled with us (as you can see by the above pic!) This is going to get hard on him, I'm sure...I'm phoning Monday morning to speak to the vet who drew Jesse's blood, so I'll let you know what I hear...

7 comments:

Selena said...

Sorry Cari that really sucks but hopefully the test comes back alright and it was a mix up or something and jes will be okay. You'll get him back before you know. That is one good thing about how fast time flys. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I would like a dog for at my Walnut street residence....just think I could have babysat Jess for the time you were in the land down under, and I could have walked him everyday....chased ducks....it would have been wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all of this clears up soon! Just try to remind yourself of the outcome...the Dickinson's and Jesse together again!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

That totally sucks for Jesse. I hope the test results come back negative and everything works out. Crossing our fingers!!

Stac

Kristie said...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you guys and to Jesse. I hope the blood tests come back clear and you get him back soon!

Anonymous said...

I will think good thoughts for Jesse. I know everything will work out! Take care.

Kat said...

Sorry to hear about this Cari...That was pretty irresponsible of them for not letting you know. Let's just hope that it clears up with 1 round of treatment. This is a big bump in the road but you'll be swimming in the ocean together in no time! :)