Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Canadian Thanksgiving!

So, as I've said before, I often forget what holiday, or birthday (even my own!) is coming up because well, the seasons just mess me up here! So, not surprising, I had completely forgot that it was Thanksgiving in Canada until Sara posted about it on my blog (Thanks Sara!). After receiving some very nice Thanksgiving wishes from family on facebook, I decided at the VERY last minute that Thanksgiving shouldn't pass us by just because we live in Australia. So, at 11 am on Sunday morning, we decided to invite some fellow Canadians to come and share in a bit of a Thanksgiving dinner. Of course, we didn't have turkey (way too last minute for that!), but made do with a couple cooked bbq chickens, canned gravy and all the trimmings. Clo made cranberry sauce, Stacey made dessert and Kate (yeah, she's an Aussie but she's spent time in Canada!) brought seafood chowder as an appetizer. Steve now thinks that every holiday should involve seafood chowder! Everyone got together around 4:30 Sunday afternoon for food, chit chat and of course, a little what we're thankful for sharing! Thanks for helping to pull it all together at the last minute guys!
I didn't take very many photos (I was too busy chatting...I mean cooking...) but here's a few...
Everyone did a great job sharing what they were thankful for. It's too bad we only do that once a year...I think it's important to reflect on what you're thankful for daily!
Here's what I said that I was thankful for:
~ My friends in Brisbane, who make it possible to still have a Thanksgiving dinner with friends, even though we live on the other side of the world!
~ Of course, Steve and Jesse.
~ My family and the fact that they all seem to be happy and healthy.
~ Also, my old friends who even though I don't get to talk to very often, I still know they are my bestest friends and that we'll be there for each other when/if we need to be! I love that. True friends.
~ My health, which has improved heaps since moving to Australia and is only going to get better!
~The opportunity to live in the land down under and experience all the wonderful things that it brings!

Steve was thankful for his bike. Such a dork!:)

Clo also brought me this adorable plant which I was very thankful for! Hopefully, it survives a life in the Dickinson household! I'll do my best!

And, I just want to say once again how thankful I am for the friends that I have made here. It's tough being so far away from home sometimes and having friends to talk with, laugh with and just have fun with makes all the difference in the world!

2 comments:

Clotilde said...

Thanks for posting the pics Cari and hosting us! It was really nice to have a "real" Thanksgiving.

Like I said, the bromeliad is pretty hardy and should survive well.

Did you know that my allergies stopped about halfway home that night? I really think I'm allergic to your couch. Maybe the foam is breaking down into dust particles?

Kristi Drennan said...

looks like you did a super star job! Way to be festive! I almost forgot it was Thanksgiving so that's pretty good that you pulled that off all the way there!