Thursday, December 27, 2007

Our First Christmas Down Under...

Well, we experienced our first Australian Christmas. Although, I'm still not clear on why Aussies decorate their homes with snowmen and snowflakes, I'd say overall our first hoilday in the land down under was a success! We embraced change and opted for some tacky unique decorations, including the tree which Steve is putting up...ahh...assembling...in the picture above. We hosted an orphan Christmas Eve get-together and I have to say, that although it was warm, with the lights down low and the Christmas music playing, Christmas Eve with everyone together did feel a little bit like Christmas. It felt weird to think that it wasn't Christmas Eve at home though! I'm used to thinking about how everyone is celebrating the holidays together, but really, we weren't. So, that was a little weird!
This is me decorating our tree. I brought about 10 of my favorite ornaments with me and I'd say they looked nice tied on our tree of lights!

These pics were snapped on Christmas Eve...


We have 3 big palm trees in our new backyard. Not sure if you can see it Carol, but I'm wearing my snowman pin that you gave me last year!

Rej in our backyard. There are so many beautiful flowers in bloom in our yard!
There were 10 of us in total for Christmas Eve. Everyone brought a dish. Steve and I made our Christmas Eve tradition...seafood chowder. There was lots of food, lots of desserts and lots of wine!
Jesse modeled several Christmas designs throughout the evening...
Vic, just after he popped open the champagne.
King Steve.
I bought some of those Christmas Crackers. They are big here. I have always wanted to get some and figured this would be a good year to do it, seeing as the whole Christmas groove was off anyway! They were fun. Everyone got a hat.

We brought Jesse's Christmas suit from Canada. I'm not so sure that Jes was happy to see it. He looks like he's about to run in this pic!
My handsome Hubby.
Making the seafood chowder. This time we made one with a tomato base. It turned out great!
Clo spent an entire day making meat tortiere and I spend a whole minute burning it!!! It was the one and only Christmas crisis! It felt like home! hehe:) We thought our new stove had a warmer but it turns out that it's a grill!!! Anyway, the kitchen filled with smoke and I burned my hand trying to save the pie! Clo was great about it and just cut off the burnt bit. Other than the crust, it was fine and still tasted great! Plus, it definitely helped to make for a funny memory!
I wasn't joking...I really burnt it!
On Christmas morning, we opened our only wrapped present from the Purdys! Thanks so much guys! We loved everything and the shirts fit great!! And thanks to those of you who sent us cards! It was really nice getting them in the mail!



2 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

Okay...so you look gorgeous Cari! I love love that dress! I love your post...as always they inspire me to make mine more fun. I see you got some star IKEA lights...I think I'm going to keep mine up all winter. I can't wait to talk to you!

Steve...I have to say you look uber AWESOME! Matt is super impressed by you. Great job. You look like a different guy! I'm sure you're still super mouthy and sarcastic though.

George said...

Nice pics.Thanks for sharing.Gotta tell you that beach shots with you guys wearing Santa hats is way to bizarre.LOL.

Who would have thunk....spend the Holiday at the beach?Weird!

Oh yeah.....both of you look great.

Geo