Saturday, November 17, 2007

Scuba Dooba Doo

Good morning/afternoon/evening ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. I’d like to first thank you for reading thedickinson’s blog, we know there is an abundance of crap out there on the world wide web and we would like you to know we appreciate the time you take out of your busy lives to read our crap. During this post I will be typing at an approximate 25 words per minute, at an altitude of about 7 feet. (our “house” is on stilts) Please insure you are not slouching and that your feet are flat on the floor. Enjoy your time on our blog and please come back soon.
The above pic was taken a while ago by Jeff Goslan, of Cari standing on a Bribie Island Beach while the sun was going down. I love the pic and thought I'd post it.
So last Saturday (Nov 10th) Cari, Me, Rej, Clo, Adam and Brianna (we’re all Canadians!) headed down to Byron Bay to go Scuba Diving at the Julian Rocks. The conditions were crap but the dive was awesome (we’ll I thought it was awesome, but I could dive in a bowl of urine and have a good time, I was born to swim) The 2 km (10 minute) boat ride out to the rocks were like a roller coaster ride, huge swells, wind, rain and fog. We all got bounced around, but it was fun. When we got to the rocks, we quickly got our gear on and got in the water. Once under the water we entered another world. The first thing I saw as I reached the bottom was 2 blue spotted sting rays….. http://www.julianrocks.net/sharks/DasyatisKuhlii.htm
They continued on there marry way, so I re-adjusted my rented gear (I really need to get my own gear, I’ve always had my own kit and having to rent sucks shark balls) and looked up to see if Cari was on her way down. To my surprise she was right beside me. She had no problems equalizing and a quick “ok” sign confirmed that she was doing just fine. They say couples that dive together stay together!. (I just made that up) So on we went. We actually had a guide, So all of us like a flock of sheep followed our long haired Aussie guide around a pre determined route that would keep us out of the currents and large swells kicked up by the bad weather.
Some of the more notable things we saw…
Yellow Sea Star…
http://www.julianrocks.net/echinoderms/LinckiaGuildingi.htm
Needle spined urchin….
http://www.julianrocks.net/echinoderms/Diadema.htm
Puffer Fish….
http://www.julianrocks.net/fish/fancyfish/ArothronNigropunctatus.htm
Wobbgonges…(these guys are a type of shark)
http://www.julianrocks.net/sharks/Orectolobus.htm
Trumpet Fish….
http://www.julianrocks.net/fish/fancyfish/AulostomusChinensis.htm

And lots of other fish.

The ladies after the dive, we went to a pub to get some much needed grub.
The ladies plus Rej and Adam watching something on the t.v.
Some random chick at the bar, but if you look above her there's a salt water fish tank...they had these all around the bar. So Cari has the dive bug, I now have a diving buddy. We're both looking forward to doing a lot of diving while were here in Australia.
Scuba Steve

No comments: