Friday, January 11, 2008

New Year, New goals, New attitude

Ick. That pretty much describes my mood so far this week. The weather has been grey and rainy, which I actually like but it's definitely not helping to improve my already ick mood. I guess according to Dr. Phil philosophy, the weather would technically be enabling my mood. Anyhoo...there are some things that I would like to change but to be honest, change is a little scary and overwhelming. It's definitely not easy to get goals off the ground, even if you do have a new found positive motivation, thanks to the beginning of a new year. Who doesn't feel inspired to save the world as you scream "Happy New Year and jump around and hug"?!
So, the strangest thing happened to me the other day...I was thinking about what holds me back from going after the things I want (side note: I've definitely improved at this! However, Rome wasn't built in a day and I still have a little work to do!)...that's when I stumbled across this quote on my Boss' desk (literally, I was thinking about it and turned around and there it was...a sign from something greater? Who knows, but here goes...)
"Fear is man's greatest enemy, and it manifests itself in forms as diverse as shame, jealousy, anger, insolence, arrogance...
What causes fear? Lack of confidence in oneself." Swami Prajnanpad
Interesting, eh? Yes, I still say "eh", even if I have started referring to my occasional snoozes in the afternoon as "Nana naps", one of my favorite Aussie expressions. It's amazing how fear sneaks in there, takes over your rational thoughts and contributes to making you feel all around miserable!
So, as I sip my wine and contemplate my goals for 2008, I'm trying to look ahead with no hidden signs of fear, just confidence and positive thoughts. I hope everyone can do the same! Let's keep each other posted on our progress!

1 comment:

George said...

Great post! Reminds me of that famous quote....was it FDR?

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself..."

True strength is not avoiding self doubt but overcoming it.

How appropriate...listening to some vintage Midnight Oil when I read this post to the lyric..."every man must be what his life can be...."

Geo