Friday, January 25, 2008

1st anniversary...

1st anniversary...? Wedding? No. Date since Steve and I met? No. Actually that is today but that marks 8 years since we first became an official couple. Believe it or not it's our 1 year anniversary of living in Australia! I've said this a thousand times but boy, has the year flown by! It's been a good year though. Thinking back on the last year as I walked to work this morning, I realized that living down under has been really good for us. I'm really happy here. I'm feeling so much better, as far as my health goes, thanks to the doctors and practitioners that I have seen since I moved here and thanks to tests that they don't even do in Canada (like the blood test that tells you what foods you are sensitive/allergic to). Steve is looking and feeling great, thanks to all his hard work. Jesse is even looking and feeling good, thanks to shedding some much needed pounds, well kilos, as they say here. We've met some awesome new people, who quickly became the kind of friends that feel like you've known them forever. We've explored beaches, cities and small little villages. I learned to scuba dive and have done a few dives, one of which was on the Great Barrier Reef! Steve and I got to scuba dive together and even though it sounds totally lame (go ahead and make fun...I don't care!), it was a pretty special moment for me when Steve took my hand and we swam peacefully underwater holding hands, surrounded by beautiful coral and colorful tropical fish! Steve and I got to take our first ever planned holiday together and had an amazing time. We've lived in 2 adorable houses, both full of the traditional Queensland charm. We've met some very interesting critters, some cute, some not so cute. We've picked up some Aussie slang and got a few good laughs out of the Aussies when they saw the confusion on my face the first time I heard them use those slang terms! We learned some new stuff too...Stuff like, it's cold in your house when it's 2 degrees outside and you don't have central heating and 4 minute showers are pretty much impossible, drought or no drought! Anyhoo, I could probably go on forever, but you get the point! Yes, overall, it's been a really good year. Sometimes I truly wonder how I will ever go back to living in a cold climate again. The sunshine and warm temps suit me so well! Anyway, here's to another good year! May it be as terrific as the first one!

6 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

That's so crazy!! A year already! Well as I always say...your life to me is a fantasy...I love your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cari & Steve:

It is good to hear that you are both feeling so good and happy. You can't ask for more than that. May your your second year down under be just as adventurous and may those special moments just keep piling up and making great memories for you both. We miss you and would love to hear from you.

The oldest & wisest. CS (well maybe not the wisest)

George said...

Congrats! Glad to hear things are working out so well.
Keep up the blogging and awesome(sunny) pics.....I`ve got a great Aussie cyber tan(wink).

Geo

KrisZadziuk said...

A year already... wow, seems like just yesterday Jeff and Darryl were singing Movin to Austrailia...r

http://kristjanzadziuk.blogspot.com/2007/01/movin-to-australia.html

And now you'll have them all out there with you.

Great to hear you are feeling better Cari, tell Steve I need my back cracking, all the Brits over here aren't strong enough to do it, then again his skills were good because of his size, that steve is now a distant memory!!!

Clotilde said...

I'm reading your post and thinking, wow, a year already? And then I look at the date and today (27) is Rej and I's 6-month anniversary in Australia! Funny that we "follow" you guys by almost exactly six months.

Anyways, I just wanted to say "nice post". I couldn't agree more with your post and I can testify that you three seem very happy and healthy out here and have very positive attitude towards life in Australia.

Anonymous said...

Wow,,,where does the time go ?
A big step, and a great adventure,,
We are so happy for you guys !
We will toast your anniversary !!
Joe Kathy
Max Tyson