Friday, May 09, 2008

Projects...

Awhile back, I posted that I have become obsessed with sewing bags. I just love it! Well, that and the fact that I ran out of windows to sew curtains for;) I had a few people mention to me that I should post some of what I have been working on and here they are...I'm basically teaching myself as I go, so I'm also learning a lot of what I want to change or do differently if I make each of these bags again. Basically, these are my trial run bags that I'll keep for myself and hopefully, if I make some more as gifts or something, they'll all be perfected by then! I get a lot of ideas from this website...http://craftydaisies.com/ and lately, seeing as I am a bit obsessive, I check out bags that I like in stores, and then go home and try to make them myself. It saves SO much money! A lot of the bags I like are very simple to make and buying fabric is way cheaper than buying the bag! So here they are...

I made the above bag as a birthday gift for my sister (I hope you got it by now! Otherwise, surprise!) and then I liked it so much that I made one for myself. I think it's very summery and fun! I also like the design of this bag and think it would be fun in so many fabrics! I got the pattern and super easy to follow instructions here...http://kristinlaflamme.com/musings/?p=119
I didn't really love this bag but I think it will go cute with the right outfit. I made it using a placemat and got the idea off the Crafty Daisies website. Super cheap to make!
I saw a bag similar to this at the market and decided to try making one myself. I made it for about 1o bucks and they were selling the one at the market for $30. I love that it fits a sheet of paper, so it's great if you need to carry documents in it. I took it to my interview and got the job, so maybe it's good luck!

Then, because I hate to waste material, I've been trying to find ways to use up some of my left over fabric. One little project idea that I came up with was to make journal covers. Here's one that I have finished. I actually gave this to one of the girls I work with as a gift.
And voila! What I do in my spare time. I also made a little make up bag but forgot to photograph it before giving it away. I want to make a few more though, so I'll post one soon. I'm also just about to start another bag. I saw one that I liked in a surf shop in Byron and want to try to make one of my own. I have to start it soon though, before I forget what it looked like!
Finally, I'll leave you with my new favorite quote...I saw it in Byron Bay on a card and thought it was very cool...
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." Unknown.
Cool, eh? Perhaps that's why doing creative and new things makes you feel so good! Each little thing you do/create is helping to create a little piece of you!:)




3 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

OH I feel so inspired now! And a little stressed because it totally makes me want to do my many projects and then on top of that start new ones. I totally love all of them! You're so good at that stuff. You should sell stuff on Etsy!! I'm sooooooo bummed that we didn't get to talk!!!! Do you have any free time this weekend? I'm gonna send you my number again. I sure wish your package would get there! Again love the stuff...love that first purse the mostest! xo

Clotilde said...

Happy birthday Cari!!!

Hope you're feeling birthday-ish today! :D

Unknown said...

Wow! Your bags are gorgeous. A funky bag can really make an outfit, so being able to make original ones for cheap is inspiring. You have to take me fabric shopping! I love the journal cover too. Really cool stuff.