Wednesday, May 07, 2008

...

A few things to say...

1. Steve's Mom left this morning. Hopefully, she has a relaxing flight home and we both really hope that she enjoyed her visit! It was so nice to be able to share some of what we see and do here in the land down under with family. I really, really hope we'll get some more company! Jesse is already missing Grandma for sure!

2. My Nanny Henley recently celebrated her 95th birthday! My Aunt Gen sent me these pictures, which I just LOVE! The one of Nanny laughing makes me smile because I can imagine her wonderful laugh! She has such a great sense of humour!


3. I still flippin' love rockclimbing! Last night, I finished my 3rd class. We learned abseiling, which is basically repelling yourself down a cliff. Steve and his Mom came to watch for the last bit of class and Steve took pictures like an embarrassing Dad at a kid's soccer game! But, it was all good! I'm glad they got to see a little of what I do for 3 hours every Tuesday. Once I finish the course, I can go to all their social nights, which they do every Thursday. You just have to turn up at the cliffs and climb. They provide all the equipment and it's free because I took the course with them, so that's pretty cool! It'll make it an easy and cheap way to stick with it after the classes finish!


4. I start my new job very soon. Only 2 more days at this job, and a couple days at a first aid and CPR course away! Bummer that I have to spend a whole weekend taking a course, but who knows, maybe it'll be fun! Plus, they do some stuff differently here than Canada, so it'll be good to have a refresher course and be prepared in case of an emergency at my new job...like the child who put his teeth through another's child face during a game of footie on the same day I had my staff meeting...yikes!

5. I had to rescue a dog today! Ok, well not rescue but there was a lost dog wandering around our street and he stuck pretty close to our driveway. I called the Brisbane City Council and gave them his registration number (dogs here wear it on their collar) and his owner came to pick him up. It took a few treats to lure him into our yard, where I locked him in to wait. Apparently, not all dogs like cucumber and carrot, but the frozen hotdog finally did the trick! He did later puke that all over Jesse's bed, but that's beside the point...His owner was very grateful and very Aussie! He pulled up in his Ute, with his Aussie accent and offered me $10 to get myself a beer! It was pretty funny! I just love that simple way that Queenslanders have! I told him no thanks and just said that hopefully, if it's ever necessary, someone will do the same for Jesse if he ever gets lost. Turns out that Bob (the dog) is 13 yrs old and is deaf and has very bad legs, so the owner was really glad that he was okay! It's the weirdest thing...every time I go to work in the afternoon, I have a dog issue! If it's not something to do with Jesse, then it's a stranger's dog! Not sure what that must mean....
And that's it for now!

3 comments:

Kat said...

Awesome update! I'm glad that you had a nice visit...I wish that I could be there too!
You look so at home in your rock climbing gear! It looks like great fun...Maybe Steve will get into it too? Rock climbing scuba divers!
You guys are too cool! :)
xox

Kat said...

P.S. Congrats to your Nanny Henley! 95!?!
...I wish you all the best at your new job! I know that you will do amazing...Keep me posted...
...You're so good to animals, maybe you will be the next Aussie Dog Whisperer! :)

George said...

Who friggin knew?(wink) Cari a scuba diving rock climber?

Way cool sis!

Guess you trumped me as the "active " Henley in the bunch.

Geo