Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Roots and Wings...


I leave tonight on the red eye flight to LA. From there I go to Detroit, Ottawa and finally Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm not looking forward to the flights but it'll be great to see everyone once I finally get there! It's funny, I've been quite homesick for Canada the last few months but yesterday was the kind of beautiful day that reminded me of how grateful I am to be living in Australia. I walked Jesse around Albert Park lake (an amazing 5.3 km walk) and saw black swans (only in Australia), lorikeets, cockatoos, and other colorful parrots I don't know the names of. It was pretty amazing, although a little scary at times if you happen to be afraid of birds (ah-hem...). It's swooping season in Australia, so all the more scary and those black swans sure didn't like Jesse walking past, especially when they had their sweet little babies close by! Just so you know, black swans make a very scary pre-historic animal kind of hiss sound when annoyed... Yikes!


How cute are the baby black swans? These ones were a little bigger than others I saw, but adorable just the same!


Everything is so, so pretty right now. It seems that almost every tree, shrub or bush in Australia flowers at some stage. I'm sure this isn't fact but it definitely does feel like it! I haven't even left yet and I'm already missing bits of Melbourne (all the pretty new signs of spring and in particular my two favorite boys!). Sad, I know seeing as I'm only away for 3 weeks! I'm the biggest flip-flopper ever. When I'm here I miss there, when I'm there, I miss here. I always think of the part in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama" when Reese Witherspoon's character says...

"I'm happy in New York Jake, but then I come down here (meaning Alabama) and...this fits too." To which Josh Lucas' character replies..."Since when does it have to be one or the other? You can have roots and wings Mel."

Ah, I love that part. It always makes me teary because I can so relate! It's nice to think of it that way...roots and wings:)


I think that's why visits to Canada are so important to me, it helps keep it all in balance. I'm a firm believer that balance equals happiness!


So, I look so forward to all the fabulous things and people I will get to enjoy in Canada over the next 3 weeks, and then the exciting things about coming back to Australia...my handsome boys, spring in full swing, and possibly another piece of this amazing mars bar cheesecake I ate last night at our favorite dessert place. I figure I deserved a little cheat, seeing as I'll be away for awhile!

I'm not sure when I'll get to post again, as I'll be quite busy and all over the place for the next 3 weeks, but I'll pop in whenever I get the chance and have lots to share when I get back! Until then...xo

3 comments:

Rebecca S. said...

Hi! I came over from Tracey's blog to visit. So you are going from spring in Aussie-land to fall in Nova Scotia, which will be pretty in a different way. I hope you have a really good time reconnecting with your roots! Those black swans are beautiful.

Greetings from a fellow Canadian on the opposite Coast.

Lorianne said...

You better be bringing some of that cheesecake to Canada with you...

Youarethemoon said...

Cari! It was so nice to see you! I just started a book blog, check it out:

http://youarethemoon-dftba.blogspot.com/

-Steph